Wednesday, May 14, 2014

MILKWEED

Prompt:Draw 4 objects that represent your reading. Write a paragraph for each, telling
what each item has to do with your reading.

pages read:33-59

This wee for my last blog, I wanted to do something that has to do with drawing since I really didn't do much with drawing this year. 
So, I found this prompt and decided to pick my 4 images to be 1)The Nazi sign & Jackboots 2) The Jewish star 3) a miniature glass dog 4) A yellow ston on a necklace.

The reason I decided to do the Nazi sign and Jackboots is because in the book, the Holocaust is going on and the Nazi's are ruling a lot of Poland. Particularly Warsaw Poland where my main character is living in. The reason for the Jackboots is because the main characters, Uri and Misha, call the the nazi's that invaded their town Jackboots because of the boots they are wearing. That is pretty much their label.

The reason I drew the Jewish star is because the main character, Misha, is out at night and then witnesses the Kristallnacht (Nigh of Broken Glass). This was when a bunch of german people grouped up and went to Jewish houses, stores,cars, ETC. to cause mayhem and damage. If people did not break the glass, in the book, the people would draw the star of the front window and tell people no to eat,spend time, or spend money there. Misha then goes on to tell himself that he is glad to be a Gypsy and not a Jew.

I drew a small glass dog to represent the relationship Misha has with a young Jewish gir. Misha met this little girl by going into her garden one day and eating her tomatoes. After their first encounter, he would bring a loaf of bread to her backdoor everyday/week and waiting for him would be a small little present that the little girl would leave for him.

lastly, I drew a yellow stone on a necklace to represent the only thing that Misha has from his family that he doen;t even remember. The necklace primarily is for Gypsies just like how the Jewish star is for Jews. This stone is important because it is all he has of his past. He doesn't even remember his real name.


2 comments:

  1. I commonted on
    Leanna's blog
    Emely's blog
    and Isabella's blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh your blog is so distracting there is too much Big Time Rush and James is scaring me because he's staring at me as I'm trying to read.. I like that you used something you liked but wow James is spooky. Anyway, nice drawing. I have heard of this book and from what you wrote about the pictures and all, it was appropriate to draw those things. Lovely job whoo!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog