Thursday, March 19, 2015

Berlin Memorial Activity- Reflection

1- What did you learn?
2- Why do you think this monument was built?
3- What did you notice about the number of laws passed in certain years?
4- Which restrictions do you think you would have the most trouble dealing with and why?

     During today's activity, I was completely shocked about how Jews were treated and restricted even before the concentration camps. I learned how the Nazi party created over 400 stupid and unnecessary laws restricting Jews from living a normal life that most people then and now take for granted. Some laws were that there was a specific curfew for the Jews. They could not be out at night past 8-9 PM. Jewish doctors, writer, artists, actors, and more could not do their job. if they were allowed, they would not be paid and eventually fired. Jewish people could not go to the beach, pool, or movies. Besides taking away Jewish peoples entertainment which was possible to live without, their basic necessities were taken away from them. Jewish people could no longer buy shaving cream or soap. They were no longer able to but new clothes and certain foods/drinks like milk, eggs, and specific meats. The Nazi party was also trying to get rid of any Jewish history behind the city as well. All streets named with Jewish names were renamed and Jewish peoples houses of worship were torn down and prohibited from being rebuilt. The Jewish were slowly losing their life piece by piece. Being dehumanized.However, they still believed in what they did and were not gonna change for anyone.


     I think this monument was built because they don't want all the new generations to forget what happened. It's so easy to forget things. No matter how big. This monument is a forever reminder of what happened. Something horrible that manipulated so many people and caused people their lives. The laws passed in all of the years of the holocaust were kind of weird. However, understandable. When they first laws came out, there were so many at once. They just threw so many laws at these people out of no where, The next year however, there were so many less laws made. I think it was because they didn't want any other countries being suspicious. They wanted to be on the down low. Towards the and of the Holocaust, like the 3 to last year, there were hardly any laws made. This was because there were really no other ways they could make Jews lives any harder and because most Jews were in concentration camps.



My Brother thought it was a good idea
to give our dog, Buddy, eyebrows...
     I think the 2 restriction that would be the hardest on me are 1, I am no longer to draw, read, or write. Although I don't write much, I think that if I was in that time, i would need some outlet. Somewhere where I can just rant on and on and not be harmed by it. Also, I love to draw. I may not be very good but it makes me feel better. Without drawing or writing then, I would have no real way to express myself. I would feel like i had a straight jacket on. Being constricted and having no way out of it. Lastly, I may not read much but if I would not be able to entertain myself by going out in public and I can't write or draw, reading would be the only thing I have left and I wouldn't be able to do that either. I would be bored all of the time. Being useless. Without being able to do any of these things would probably make me go ... crazy. the second restriction that I would have the most difficulty with would be that I can't have pets. My dog is like one of my best friends. I would probably have no friends back then because I would not be able to play with them or I was too scared to go outside. Without my dog, i would have no one to talk to. Although I know he would never respond, he would listen. I already can write and draw or read so I would honestly have nothing to do. My dog is always there for me, no matter what. Without my dog, I would feel... alone. Like a big blob of nothing. These 2 restrictions are definitely the 2 that would be hardest with me to deal with.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog