Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz: Book Or Movie. Spoilers?

Pages:0-9
Prompt: Which do you prefer between the book and the movie? Are there any obvious difference?

     This week, I wanted to do something really similar to what we did with To Kill A  Mockingbird. Except with  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.  The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. has always been on of my favorite stories of all time. I think it's just because it't a very unique story that has many remakes like superhero's.  I mean, the thought of a girl being transported into another dimension by a tornado where there are talking scarecrows, a tin man, and a talking lion? Who wouldn't remember this story?

     Personally, I feel like the question on if the movie or book was better is very controversial. I think it all depends on the way they execute the movie. When a movie isn't executed the way that a person imagined it, they m
ost likely will prefer the book because they can interpret the story however they want. For me, I enjoyed the movie better. I have always been a visual person. I enjoy a story when I can see it put into action instead of as text on a piece of paper. Also, Judy Garland did an amazing job as Dorothy in the movie. R.I.P Judy. 👠

     Since the The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is my favorite story of all time, O of course read the book before. When I first read the book, I was so shocked on how much was taken out of the movie. Although I don't specifically remember a lot of the differences, I remember one specifically. That was the part about "The Dainty China Country." I remember reading that chapter and just thinking to myself, why would they leave this out? It's so creative and would make the movie so amazing. The Dainty China Country chapter was pretty much, Dorothy and her friends were on their way back form Oz. They had just discovered that Oz was a fake and he had just been sent on a hot-air balloon off to his version of a paradise. Dorothy and her friends encounter a small village of china people. For people who don't know what china is, it is a very delicate type of glass. Dorothy and her friends try interacting with the people and they welcome them in until Dorothy and her friends accidentally start literally breaking their town. All their building were shattering and breaking. All was fine and the people still welcomed Dorothy and their friends until their church was shattered and Dorothy and her friends were kicked out. After thinking, I realized why the director of the movie didn't put this scene in the movie. It really didn't affect the story or plot. If they put this in, it would of made it and even BETTER movie than what it already is but would make the movie longer than it needed to be.


Comments: Amelia, Citlalli, and Nik

3 comments:

  1. Most likely to your shock, I have not seen the Wizard of Oz movie nor have I read the book. I've seen clips and I get the picture(pun intended), so I just have never seen the movie. I understand how watching the movie version of a book can be frustrating because they didn't execute it right, A.K.A. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. While the part about the china dolls is included in the movie, I do think it's included in the newest version with James Franco. What's your favorite part of the book? Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like Marisa, I've never seen the Wizard of Oz movie nor have I read the book. Though, people have talked about it enough so I get the idea. On another note, I agree with what you said about being able to interpret the book the way you want to. There's nothing more annoying that seeing a movie trailer for a book and then picturing a character as the actor. At that point, it's like you don't really get to interpret anymore. It's really annoying! Good job on your blog, though. I liked how you included that little insight into China Town in the book; it was an interesting touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sort of shocked that you thought the movie was better. I never read the book, but people always say that the book is better. I never knew that Chine Town existed in the Wizard of Oz. I think that the scene was kept out of the movie because it made Dorothy look bad, at least to me. If Dorothy was crushing China Town's buildings the viewers wouldn't feel as bad for her. Overall, great blog.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog